The Philanthropic Philosophy of Richard A. Henson
Richard Henson believed the following Christian principles, when applied to decisionmaking at the Henson Foundation, would impact the quality of life in the local community, and the country, in a very positive way:
- Educating and building good character in our youth through leadership and example.
- Developing entrepreneurial spirit by building an awareness of our free enterprise system.
- Promoting excellence in all endeavors no matter how simple or insignificant the cause.
- Giving the needy, underprivileged, and disadvantaged a hand to help themselves.
- Being a role model and encouraging other to give of their time, talent and personal resources to develop community projects which enhance the well-being of our citizens.
Mr. Henson created an endowment to support the maintenance and improvement of the Henson Scout Reservation in Sharptown, Md. The endowment also provides scholarships for Eagle Scouts and professional leadership training for scouts and volunteers.